Arizona has legalized various aspects of blockchain innovation, and therefore has a variety of ways to buy and sell Bitcoin. The most common method to acquire Bitcoin is through an exchange. An exchange can either be centralized or decentralized. Both types of exchanges connects buyers with sellers of Bitcoin.
How to choose an exchange requires consideration of many factors. The most important being:
- Safety and Security
- Customer Support
- Ease of Use
- Cost of Fees
After choosing an exchange, you will need to create an account through a sign up process.
The Account Creation process is relatively easy across all exchanges, however they may slightly different with what is required for Proof of ID.
Some even have tiers of how many transactions or dollar value can be performed depending on the amount of ID provided.
To help you buy bitcoin in Arizona, we discuss through the elements of Bitcoin exchanges that should be considered, give our reviews of available exchanges and discuss the Arizona legality of buy and selling bitcoin.
Top 5 Arizona Bitcoin Exchanges
- Licensed with Arizona Department of Financial Institutions
- Track record of withdrawal is good
- Excellent Bid Ask Spread
- Easy to Use
- Rewards users with BNB
- Excellent both for beginner and sophisticated traders
- Narrow spreads
- Highly liquid
- Global and reputable
- Great features and functions
- Access to many supported cryptocurrencies
- Safe and secure
- Best for beginners
- Fast and quick buy bitcoin
- Account creation simple for beginners
- Very simple to use
- US onshore based, and regulated
- Excellent track record of safety and security
- Layers of protection for users
- Reliable platform
Overview of Arizona Bitcoin Exchanges
Buying and selling Bitcoin through an exchange is the most common and easiest way in Arizona. An exchange provides a convenient way to quickly buy and sell, it’s also the safest and most secure. Of course there are many other ways that you can buy Bitcoin.
- Buy direct from a Seller without a broker
- Work for Bitcoin
- Mine Bitcoin
- Gamble with Bitcoin
But the most common, is through using a cryptocurrency exchange. While there are numerous cryptocurrency exchanges to choose from, and it can be easy just to select any of them, there are some important factors to be considered. The following factors should be assessed, together with your investment strategy, to choose an appropriate exchange for you.
🔒 Safety and Security
The first and foremost area to evaluate is the safety and security measures of a cryptocurrency exchange. Since traders intend to provide their personal and confidential details (bank and credit/debit card details, address, cryptocurrency wallets etc.) to the exchange’s database, it should be backed by a strong and reliable security system. The exchange should have layers of protection to repel malware or hack attacks. Take note, that the more layers of security that an exchange has, the slower and less efficient your trading will be. The reason is because often safety measures require waiting for time locks to end, threshold limits on withdrawals and other features which slow down or prevent large sums being transferred.
📞 Customer Support
From a novice to a professional trader, everyone needs help/assistance in one way or another. Sometimes, they need someone to sign-up on the exchange or carry out transactions to ensure safety of their personal details. It’s important that the customer support is prompt, responsive, knowledgeable and courteous. Whether you are a big or small client, the same professional customer support should be provided. Many users actually prefer quality customer support rather than having the lowest trading fees.
💳 Payment Methods
Arizona’s cryptocurrency exchanges provide multiple methods to their clients to deposit or withdraw funds. From using debit/credit cards (Mastercard or VISA), e-payment options (PayPal, Skrill etc.) to making wire transfers, these exchanges ensure safety of traders’ money by hook or by crook. Also, their e-wallets are responsible to simplify transactions while you will have to bear some fees or charges.
🪙 Cryptocurrency Selection
Crypto selection is important for people who want to diversify their e-wallets and deal in fiat currencies. In other words, if you are planning to acquire Bitcoins against USD, then there is no need to worry about this element or vice versa. Like stock exchanges, the platforms should have a huge range of cryptocurrencies so that traders are able to make the decision which suits them the best. Whether they want to invest in bigger cryptos like Bitcoins, Ethereum, Ripple etc. or to play a safe game, a cryptocurrency exchange should have multiple options to choose from.
🏷 Coupons and Discounts
Based on rewarding users, coupons and discounts are intended to create a win-win situation by attracting more and more clients to start trading with them. For a good cryptocurrency exchange, these offers work as a marketing tool where they can reach maximum number of people and expect to get at least 50% responses. Signing up to an exchange can return great benefits, particularly if you can introduce or refer other users.
There are two types of fees involved in cryptocurrency trading- payment fees and trading fees. The latter has been charges on the volume of cryptocurrencies being traded. The percentage usually decreases with the rise in volume. Which is why no exchange can be compared with the other.
⚙️ Platform Reliability
This point refers to an Exchange’s ability to remain functional even at the time of maintenance. The exchange should be protected against bugs so that it can run without hindrance.
Arizona Bitcoin Exchange Reviews
Considering the above criteria, following is a review of several bitcoin exchanges for Arizona.
Referred to as the top Bitcoin broker (BTC), Coinbase has always been the preference of beginners to try out their luck by investing in cryptocurrencies. Due to its simple user-interface and easy to handle mechanism, this cryptocurrency exchange has emerged as the best platform for all Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency fans. They can carry out transactions with SEPA transfer, bank transfer, debit/credit card. with the surety of buying highly liquid cryptos. The best part is that if any trader wants to buy cryptocurrencies urgently, he/she can do it through Instant Buy with a debit card.
Coinmama is the next worthwhile cryptocurrency exchange that works for its clients effortlessly. The best part is that it is available for everyone across the globe, which means that people from anywhere can easily invest or transact in digital currencies. Its transaction fees depend upon the volume of purchase; however, money can be paid through SEPA transfer at a lower fee. Another thing that makes Coinmama a good option is the highest limitation for dealing in bitcoins, especially while using credit cards. The exchange has proved itself a reliable and professional platform where traders can invest their money with ease.
Etoro is on the mission to democratize money management to open doors of financial market for everyone. Its US platform intends to bring in modern and advanced techniques and norms, while continuing to support cryptocurrency trading. Etoro lets traders to deposit funds through wire transfer, online bank transfer, bank card or e-wallet (Skrill, Neteller or PayPal), where the minimum deposit is $50. The best part of Etoro is that customers can withdraw funds whenever they want without having to pay the platform fees.
As a multifunctional cryptocurrency exchange, CEX.IO has been the choice of millions of people across the world. It facilitates in the purchase of bitcoin with debit or credit card; though, if they want to use any other payment option, they can do that easily as well. Their customer service is active 24/7 with proven platform reliability and stability. The best thing about CEX.IO is its low fees and accessibility to people all over the world so that they can easily opt to invest in cryptocurrencies of their choice.
Kraken is not only a top rated crypto-exchange in Arizona but has also managed to get into limelight of the world. It is because of their liquidity and volume that any bank or wire transfer can be the part of their funding method. Kraken Pro encourages investors to get themselves involved in real-time trading by using amazing charting tools. Their tiered verification and reasonable fees are two main factors as to why this platform has got a respectable position in the industry.
Gemini has fast settlement, which is good if you are a day trader. Fast processing of ACH and wire transfers in only hours to one day then can immediatley buy and sell bitcoin. Fees are reasonable.
With the help of Bitcoin ATM, it’s quite easy for potential investors to buy bitcoins whenever they have enough funds available. They make the process so quick and easy that traders used to wonder whether things have been done properly or not. Here, the worth mentioning thing is that Bitcoin ATMs charge around 5 to 10% fees against providing privacy, security and convenience of keeping personal and other details in private. This fee is literally worth the features traders will be getting.
Operating a Bitcoin ATM requires the compliance with many laws.
- The laws that regulate Bitcoin ATM ownership and operation in Arizona is dictated by Federal laws.
- The Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 (BSA) outlines that financial institutions must help federal agencies prevent money laundering (i.e. anti money laundering), IRS tax evasion, and other crimes. All transaction over $10,000 must be reported to the government.
- Operating a Bitcoin ATM is classified as a money service business (MSB).
- Operators must register as such with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN).
- Additionally, owners must develop and put into practice a comprehensive anti-money laundering (AML) strategy. This must address and include the four pillars defined by FinCEN.
Known for providing an escrow service, this cryptocurrency platform enables clients to find the right buyers for their Bitcoins. Although advertisement is a good option to go with, many have not received the required level of responses. The thing that makes LocalBitcoins different from others is the in-person meeting, which is facilitated and secured by LocalBitcoins have turned out to the fastest platform to acquire Bitcoins within a few minutes.
Bitcoin Cryptocurrency Laws and Legislation
The State of Arizona is at the forefront of cryptocurrency laws and regulation when compared to other States. They were the first to introduce legislation that permitted taxes to be settled with Bitcoin. Arizona continues to develop and refined cryptocurrency laws and legislation.
Below is summary of the cryptocurrency laws in the state.
In 2017 four key Statute amendments and a handful of Bills were pass in the House and Senate. The Statute amendments legalized blockchain technology, effectively making it lawful to use Bitcoin. The Bills began the lay the down the framework of working with blockchain technology.
- Arizona Statute § 44-7061 legalised blockchain for the purposes of recording of data that included personal information.
- Arizona Statute § 44-7061 legalised signatures, records and contracts by using blockchain. A contract therefore become legally enforceable in the eyes of the law.
- Arizona Statute § 11-269.22 legalised the use of software to validate or encrypt blockchain transactions “running a node” and “using computing power:.
- Arizona Statute § 13-3122 made illegal the use of blockchain to track the ownership of firearms.
Several bills that recognize bitcoin and other cryptos as currencies have been making their way in the Arizona State Legislature. Two of them, SB1091 and SB1145, will regulate income tax payments with cryptocurrency. One of them has already passed the Senate Finance Committee in mid-January. Another bill (HB2601) is expected to regulate crowdfunding and initial coin offerings (ICOs).
- The Arizona House passed HB 2601 and 2602, both of which await approval by the State’s Senate.
- HB 2601 passed the Arizona House proposing the framework for Initial Coin Offering (ICO).
- HB 2602 passed the Arizona House proposing that mining of cryptocurrencies would be allowed.
- S.B. 1145, 53d Leg., 2nd Reg. Sess. (Ariz. 2018) proposed that any income derived from virtual currencies would be subject to income tax.
In 2019 Arizona introduced two new Bills to the House. H.B. 2702 was proposed to legalize the use of virtual currencies for the payment of goods and services, and would therefore produce income and incur taxes on the goods and service providers. The House also initiated within the The General Appropriations Act 2019-2020 the appropriation of $1.25m for research of blockchain and virtual currencies.
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Wallets
Some exchanges also offer wallets. It’s not necessary for a good exchange to offer a wallet to their clients, though it can be a nice to have for new investors. However, be aware that online wallets offered by exchanges are normally hot wallets. That is, these wallets are connected permanently to the internet. This can be quite risky to use a wallet that is controlled by the exchange and not by yourself.
Hence it’s not necessarily a good thing if an exchange offers a wallet, but it’s a nice to have, if you are looking for an exchange with their own wallet.
- Online Wallets: Every crypto-exchange has their own wallet where traders can store their coins or cryptocurrencies for as long as they want. However, there are two types of these wallets that traders have to decide about which wallet they want to use for their trading.
- Arizona Hot Wallets: Since the inception of bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies, wallets have been transformed and divided into two forms- desktop and online. Digital wallets are free and can hold any cryptocurrency that traders want. They enable them to get easy access to their cryptocurrencies via mobile devices. They are perfect for beginners who want something easy to start with.
- Arizona Cold Wallets: These specifically designed devices work as physical cryptocurrency storage that allow traders to bring their cryptos with them, no matter where they are going. Though, the only considerable thing is their expensive nature with limitations of storing certain cryptocurrencies for future use.
Minimum Legal Age
Arizona State Laws require buyers of bitcoin at a cryptocurrency exchange to be at least 18 years old.
Arizona Bitcoin Market Developements
In June 2019 Circle K stores in Arizona began hosting DigitalMint Kiosks to facilitate Bitcoin transactions.
- Bitcoin Depot
- Digital Cash 2 Go
- Phoenix Crypto
- National Bitcoin ATM
- Digital Mint
- Bitcoin of America
- Bitbox ATM
- CoinFlip Bitcoin ATMs
- February 2020 – Ponzi scheme run by two Arizona residents. They cheated even ex- Major League Baseball players.
- John Caruso and Zach Salter lived the high roller life, using the monies that they had scammed from subscribers to the ponzi scheme.
- Their company was called Zima Digital Assets. A front that accepted monies to invest in cryptoassets, but instead monies of $7.5million invested were stolen by Caruso and Salter.
Arizona has very strict State laws that require the mining of bitcoin and other currencies, plus the trading of currencies to be monitored and above board. State laws through the Arizona Money Transmission Act, regulates the trading of crptocurrencies, as well as the IRS federal tax laws.
Considering the endless scope and continuous innovation in crypto-trading, it’s quite evident that cryptocurrency exchanges still have a long way to go. Although they are trying harder to provide safer platforms, some areas still need improvement. In Arizona, there are certain laws and regulations that every exchange has to follow- without them, no exchange can claim to be a worthwhile place for trading.
Most strictest laws for cryptocurrency mining, trading and operating in the country. Having said that, there are plenty of exchanges to choose from. Some are honest and reputable, whilst others are ponzi schemes or outright scams to be avoided.
How to Lodge a Cryptocurrency Customer Complaint
If you have a customer complaint at a cryptocurrency exchange, please raise the issue with them first.
If unresolved, please contact the State Finance Department.
Arizona Department of Financial Institutions
100 North 15th Avenue, Suite 261
California | Nevada | Utah | New Mexico | Colorado