In Australia there are four ways to buy and sell bitcoin, that each have their advantages and disadvantages.
- Cryptocurrency exchanges
- Bitcoin ATMs
- Peer-to-peer marketplaces
- Over-The-Counter Bitcoin Brokers
Australian Cryptocurrency Exchanges
The top 3 cryptocurrency exchanges in Australia are currently Independent Reserve, Swyftx, and Binance.
There are several reasons why these three are the most popular:
- Independent Reserve and Swyftx are Australian based. Australian based entities are safer and more secure than overseas based exchanges because Australians can be assured that they strictly adhere to compliance measures introduced by the Australian government, and that there is a pathway to complaint resolution facilitated by the Ombudsman, if required.
- Binance is the largest exchange in the world. With its economies of scale, there is no exchange that can compete with its low fees, excellent spreads, and an advanced platform that is rich in features and huge market of buyers and sellers allowing for quick trades.
- Excellent capital backing, your crypto is safely stored at this exchange.
- Rigorously ensures compliance with Australian regulators
- Established by Australians, made for Australians.
- Australian based company, dedicated for Australian market
- Regulated by Australian authorities
- Competitive spreads and fees
- Lowest administration and exchange fee
- Most liquid exchange with the largest market of buyers and sellers in the world
- Excellent Bid Ask spread
Location of Australian Bitcoin ATMs
You can find Bitcoin ATMs in various locations across Australia.
Below are some of the most popular Bitcoin ATMs in the country.
- Westfield Sydney, 188 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000
- CTC Tobacconist, 175 King St, Sydney NSW 2000
- Star City Convenience Store, Shop 1/1 Fisher Rd, Dee Why NSW 2099
- BP Connect, 1-3 Mona Vale Rd, Pymble NSW 2073
- Metro Petrol, 60 Princes Hwy, St Peters NSW 2044
- Discount Tobacconist, 153A Parramatta Rd, Stanmore NSW 2048
- The Hub House, 32/33 Lexington Dr, Bella Vista NSW 2153
- 7-Eleven, 238 Clarendon St, South Melbourne VIC 3205
- Emporium Melbourne, Level 3, 287 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Shell Coles Express, 270 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Flinders Street Station, Shop 30, 7-9 Flinders St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- 7-Eleven, 375 Spencer St, West Melbourne VIC 3003
- King Convenience, 101 King St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- 7-Eleven, 325 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- BLVD News, 22 Ann St, Brisbane City QLD 4000
- M&A Convenience Store, 21 McLachlan St, Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
- BP Connect, 1418 Anzac Ave, Kallangur QLD 4503
- Shop 2 / 985 Ipswich Road, Moorooka QLD 4105
- Metro Petroleum, 211 Beaudesert Rd, Moorooka QLD 4105
- NightOwl Convenience Store, 157 Kedron Brook Rd, Wilston QLD 4051
ATMs can also be found in the following regions in Australia
Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong, Hobart
Use Google Maps to find nearby ATMs
If you can’t find the bitcoin ATM that you are looking for, try using Google Maps by entering “Bitcoin ATM into the search bar. You will then be able to see ATMs in your area.
Note that fees for using Bitcoin ATMs can vary, and they may charge higher fees compared to other methods of buying Bitcoin. It’s important to research fees and compare your options before making a purchase.
Australian Peer-to-Peer marketplaces
These are platforms that connect buyers and sellers of Bitcoin directly. It’s similar to Gumtree or Facebook Marketpaces, whereby the platform facilitates the meeting of buyers and sellers.
The two most popular peer-to-peer markets in Australia are LocalBitcoins and Paxful.
As the most popular peer-to-peer Bitcoin trading platform in Australia, LocalBitcoins has grown in leaps and bounds. Australians can use the platform to find local sellers and buyers, and can even make international trades. However, it’s worth noting that LocalBitcoins has recently added new regulatory requirements for Australian users, such as the need to verify their identity and provide additional information about their trading activities.
The second most popular peer-to-peer Bitcoin trading platform in Australia that allows users to buy and sell Bitcoin with each other. Australian users can use the platform to find local sellers and buyers, as well as international trades. Paxful also offers a variety of payment options, including bank transfers, credit/debit cards, and online payment systems like PayPal and Skrill.
It’s important to note that while both LocalBitcoins and Paxful can be used in Australia, they come with risks such as scams and frauds. Users should always exercise caution and do their research before making any trades or transactions. It’s also recommended to use a reputable escrow service or platform to reduce the risk of scams and frauds.
Why use Peer-to-Peer in Australia
Peer-to-peer (P2P) Bitcoin markets can offer several benefits compared to traditional centralised exchanges. Though the two in Australia that we mentioned, now must implement identification checks, they still have the following advantages:
- Decentralisation: There is no central authority controlling the platform. This can provide more autonomy, freedom, and privacy to users.
- Lower Fees: P2P Bitcoin markets may have lower fees compared to traditional centralised exchanges. This is because P2P markets do not have to maintain expensive infrastructure requirements as strictly as centralised exchanges.
- Greater Liquidity: P2P Bitcoin markets can provide greater liquidity compared to traditional centralised exchanges. This is because buyers and sellers are directly matched with each other, increasing the chances of finding a trade that meets their needs.
- More Payment Options: P2P Bitcoin markets can offer more payment options than centralised exchanges, including cash payments, PayID transfers, EFT transfers, and other online payments.
- Improved Security: P2P Bitcoin markets can provide improved security compared to centralised exchanges, as users control their own funds and do not have to rely on a third-party to hold their assets.
Best OTC Brokers in Australia
Caleb and Brown and Bit Trade Australia are both reputable OTC brokers for Bitcoin in Australia.
Both are trusted and reputable, and are experienced with processing and facilitating big trades.
- Caleb and Brown: Caleb and Brown is an OTC Bitcoin broker based in Melbourne, Australia. They offer personalized services to clients, including one-on-one consultations with dedicated account managers who help clients navigate the complexities of the cryptocurrency market. Caleb and Brown has been operating since 2016 and has built a reputation for providing reliable and secure OTC trading services. The company is also a member of the Blockchain Australia association, which promotes blockchain technology and adoption in Australia.
- Bit Trade Australia: Bit Trade Australia is a Sydney-based OTC Bitcoin broker that provides services to institutional and retail investors. They offer a range of services, including over-the-counter trading, market-making, and brokerage services. Bit Trade Australia has been operating since 2013 and has built a reputation for providing high-quality, secure, and reliable services to their clients. The company is also licensed by the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) and adheres to strict compliance and regulatory requirements.
Both Caleb and Brown and Bit Trade Australia are reputable OTC brokers with a strong track record of providing reliable and secure services to their clients. However, it’s important to do your own research and due diligence before selecting an OTC broker and making any trades or transactions.
Why use an OTC Broker
OTC (Over-the-Counter) brokers for Bitcoin are typically used by high net worth individuals, institutional investors, and traders who want to buy or sell large amounts of Bitcoin without impacting the market price. Here are some reasons why someone might use an OTC broker for Bitcoin:
- Privacy: Using an OTC broker can provide more privacy than trading on public exchanges, as OTC trades are often conducted off-exchange and are not visible to the public.
- Reduced Market Impact: Large trades on public exchanges can cause significant price movements, but OTC trades are typically executed without impacting the market price.
- Better Pricing: OTC brokers may offer better pricing for large trades than public exchanges, as they often have access to deep pools of liquidity and can negotiate prices with multiple market makers.
- Expertise: OTC brokers often have a deep understanding of the cryptocurrency market and can provide guidance and advice to their clients.
- Efficiency: OTC brokers can provide faster and more efficient execution for large trades, as they can match buyers and sellers directly without the need for order book matching.
Overall, OTC brokers can be a useful tool for investors and traders looking to buy or sell large amounts of Bitcoin. However, it’s important to use a reputable and trustworthy OTC broker and to do your own research before making any trades or transactions.
There are many options for buying Bitcoin in Australia, whether you’re looking to use a centralized exchange, a P2P market, or an OTC broker.
Popular centralised exchanges such as Independent Reserve and Swyftx offer easy-to-use platforms and a wide range of trading pairs, while P2P markets like LocalBitcoins and Paxful provide greater autonomy and privacy to users.
For those looking to buy or sell large amounts of Bitcoin, OTC brokers like Caleb and Brown and Bit Trade Australia can provide personalized services and access to deep pools of liquidity.
Regardless of which option you choose, it’s important to do your own research and due diligence before making any trades or transactions. With the right knowledge and tools, buying Bitcoin in Australia can be a straightforward and rewarding experience.
What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a decentralised digital currency that allows for peer-to-peer transactions without the need for intermediaries like banks or governments.
How can I buy Bitcoin in Australia?
You can buy Bitcoin in Australia through a cryptocurrency exchange, such as Independent Reserve or Swyftx. You can also purchase Bitcoin through a Bitcoin ATM, or through a peer-to-peer marketplace such as LocalBitcoins.
How do I choose a cryptocurrency exchange?
When choosing a cryptocurrency exchange, you should consider factors such as fees, payment methods, security features, user interface, and customer support.
What payment methods can I use to buy Bitcoin?
Different exchanges may accept different payment methods, but some common options include bank transfer, credit/debit card, and BPAY.
Do I need to verify my identity to buy Bitcoin?
Yes, most cryptocurrency exchanges in Australia require you to verify your identity before you can buy or sell Bitcoin. This is usually done by providing a government-issued ID and a proof of address.
How much does it cost to buy Bitcoin?
The cost of buying Bitcoin varies depending on the exchange and the current market price of Bitcoin. You should also consider any fees charged by the exchange for buying or selling Bitcoin.
How do I store my Bitcoin?
You can store your Bitcoin in a digital wallet, either through a software wallet or a hardware wallet. It’s important to ensure that your wallet is secure and that you have access to your private keys.
Is buying Bitcoin legal in Australia?
Yes, buying Bitcoin is legal in Australia, and the Australian government has recognised Bitcoin as a form of property for taxation purposes. However, you should always ensure that you are following any relevant laws and regulations related to cryptocurrency in Australia.
Is Bitcoin a good investment?
Whether or not Bitcoin is a good investment is a subjective matter, and there is no guarantee of returns. It’s important to do your own research and consider your own risk tolerance before investing in Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency.
What are the risks of buying Bitcoin?
The risks of buying Bitcoin include price volatility, security threats, and regulatory uncertainty. It’s important to be aware of these risks and to take steps to protect your investments.